US President Donald Trump has announced that the planned summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un will not be held, which was to be hosted by Singapore next month.
“Unfortunately, after the tremendous anger and the outright hostility that emerged in your last statement, I feel it is inappropriate at this time to hold this long-planned meeting,” Trump wrote in a letter to Kim published by the White House.
Al-Jazeera correspondent in Washington, Murad Hashim, said there was anger in Washington over what Trump called Pyongyang’s hostile rhetoric, commenting on a statement by the North Korean foreign minister, who indicated that her country was ready for a nuclear confrontation if the Americans wanted it.
The North Korean official said in response to remarks by US Vice President Mike Pines, who compared the North Korean case to the Libyan model, the second time the comparison was made, which angered Pyongyang. US National Security Adviser John Bolton previously made the same Statement.
The correspondent said the preparations for the summit were experiencing major problems because of a wide divergence in the positions of the two sides on major issues, including that North Korea has been demanding the United States to recognize it as a nuclear power, but Washington rejects it altogether.
Trump said he would meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un on June 12 in Singapore and hoped the meeting – described as historic – would lead to peace.
“We will both try to make it a very special moment for world peace, ” Trump said in a tweet posted on his Twitter account , adding that Kim was ready to negotiate over his country’s nuclear and missile programs. He said the upcoming talks should focus on nuclear disarmament on the Korean Peninsula.
North Korea threatened on June 16 to cancel the summit between its leader Kim Jong-un and Trump and another high-level meeting with South Korea.
The cancellation of these meetings was prompted by the military maneuvers between the United States and South Korea (Max Thunder), which Pyongyang has long seen as an invasion drill.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo visited North Korea on May 9 and met during his visit with the North Korean leader. State television said Pyongyang had conveyed a new proposal from President Trump on the future dialogue between the two countries.
In what was seen as a goodwill gesture before Trump and Kim, North Korea released three Americans who had been detained. Bombay escorted them aboard to the United States, and Trump later received them.